Saturday, 2 June 2012

UK A-Z Part Two


In year 2011, the Royal Mail have issued the first series of the United Kingdom Journey of rediscovery   , in alphabetical order, around the most important iconic sights and memorable views to be found on this sceptered isle. The first issue have described  more detail in article "The Exploring UK part I".

On April 10th, 2012, the second series have  issued features the  landmarks were represent every corner of the United Kingdom, which takes from ‘M’ for Manchester Town Hall through to ‘Z’ for the ZSL London Zoo.

img106Manchester Town Hall

Manchester Town Hall is a Victorian-era, Neo-gothic municipal building designed by architect Alfred Waterhouse in Manchester, England. The building functions as the ceremonial headquarters of Manchester City Council  such as the Great Hall which is decorated with the imposing Manchester Murals by Ford Madox Brown illustrating the history of the city and houses a number of local government departments.The exterior is dominated by the clock tower which rises to 87 metres  and houses Great Abel, the clock bell.


img101Narrow Water Castle

Narrow Water Castle is a famous tower house near Warrenpoint in Northern Ireland, located on the County Down bank of the Clanrye River, which enters Carlingford Lough a mile to the south.
Built for military purposes during the 1560s, Narrow Water Castle is a typical example of the tower houses erected throughout Ireland from the 14th until the early 17th century. This form of building, normally rectangular in plan and three or more storeys high, comprised a series of superimposed chambers, with stairs, closets and latrines skillfully contrived within the walls (which are 1.5metres or five feet thick in places) or sometimes contained in projecting angle turrets.
 
img102Old Bailey

The Central Criminal Court in England and Wales, commonly known as the Old Bailey from the street in which it stands, is a court building in central London, one of a number of buildings housing the Crown Court.The Crown Court sitting at the Central Criminal Court deals with major criminal cases from Greater London and, in exceptional cases, from other parts of England and Wales.

img103Portmeirion

Portmeirion is a popular tourist village in Gwynedd, North Wales. It was designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis between 1925 and 1975 in the style of an Italian village and is now owned by a charitable trust.The village of Portmeirion has been a source of inspiration for writers and television producers.The village is located in the community of Penrhyndeudraeth, on the estuary of the River Dwyryd.

img104The Queen’s College Oxford

The Queen's College, founded 1341, is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England. Queen's is centrally situated on the High Street, with 18th-century architecture.

img105Roman Baths

The Roman Baths complex is a site of historical interest in the English city of Bath. The house is a well-preserved Roman site for public bathing. The Roman Baths themselves are below the modern street level. There are four main features: the Sacred Spring, the Roman Temple, the Roman Bath House and the Museum holding finds from Roman Bath. The buildings above street level date from the 19th century.
The Roman Baths are a major tourist attraction and, together with the Grand Pump Room, receive more than one million visitors a year, with 1,037,518 people during 2009.
 
img107Stirling Castle

Stirling Castle,  is one of the largest and most important castles, both historically and architecturally, located in Stirling,Scotland. The castle sits atop Castle Hill, an intrusive crag, which forms part of the Stirling Sill geological formation. Most of the principal buildings of the castle date from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.
Stirling Castle is surrounded on three sides by steep cliffs, giving it a strong defensive position. Its strategic location, guarding what was, until the 1890s, the farthest downstream crossing of the River Forth, has made it an important fortification from the earliest times.
 
img109Tyne Bridge

The Tyne Bridge was designed by Mott, Hay and Anderson who based their design on the Hell Gate Bridge in New York.The bridge was completed on 25 February 1928 and opened on 10 October by King George V and Queen Mary, who were the first to use the roadway travelling in their Ascot landau. The Tyne Bridge's towers were built of Cornish granite and were designed as warehouses with five storeys.The bridge was originally painted green with special paint made by J. Dampney Co. of Gateshead. The same colours were used to paint the bridge in 2000. The bridge spans 531 feet and the road deck is 84 feet  above the river level.The Tyne Bridge is a through arch bridge over the River Tyne in North East England, linking Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead.

img110Urquhart Castle

Urquhart Castle  sits beside Loch Ness in Scotland along the A82 road, between Fort William and Inverness. It is close to the village of Drumnadrochit. Though extensively ruined, it was in its day one of the largest strongholds of medieval Scotland, and remains an impressive structure, splendidly situated on a headland overlooking Loch Ness. The walled portion of the Castle is shaped roughly like a figure-8 aligned northeast-southwest along the bank of Loch Ness. The main gate is on the inland side near the middle, narrow portion, of the walls. A much smaller gate on the Loch side is located roughly across from the main gate. The castle is quite close to water level and offers little in the way of physical boundaries.

img108Victoria and Albert Museum

The Victoria and Albert Museum is the world's largest museum of decorative arts and design, housing a permanent collection of over 4.5 million objects. Named after Prince Albert and Queen Victoria, it was founded in 1852, and has since grown to cover 12.5 acres and 145 galleries. Its collection spans 5,000 years of art, from ancient times to the present day, in virtually every medium, from the cultures of Europe, North America, Asia and North Africa. The museum is a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
The Victoria and Albert Museum  placed in the Brompton district of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, neighboring institutions include the Natural History Museum and Science Museum.

img111White Cliff of Dover

The White Cliffs of Dover are cliffs which form part of the British coastline facing the Strait of Dover and France. The cliffs are part of the North Downs formation. The cliff face, which reaches up to 350 feet owes its striking façade to its composition of chalk accentuated by streaks of black flint. The cliffs spread east and west from the town of Dover in the county of Kent, an ancient and still important English port.
The cliffs have great symbolic value for Britain because they face towards Continental Europe across the narrowest part of the English Channel, where invasions have historically threatened and against which the cliffs form a symbolic guard. Because crossing at Dover was the primary route to the continent before air travel, the white line of cliffs also formed the first or last sight of the UK for travelers.
 
img112Station X Bletchley Park

Bletchley Park is an estate located in the town of Bletchley, in Buckinghamshire, England, which currently houses the National Codes Centre and the National Museum of Computing.
During the Second World War, Bletchley Park was the site of the United Kingdom's main decryption establishment, the Government Code and Cypher School (GC&CS), where ciphers and codes of several Axis countries were decrypted, most importantly the ciphers generated by the German Enigma and Lorenz machines. A large portion of the site is now controlled by the Bletchley Park Trust.
The National Museum of Computing, an independent voluntary organization, rents space from the Trust to house its collection of historic computers. The museum is run by the Codes and Ciphers Heritage Trust (an independent registered charity) and is open to the public. It receives no Government or regional funding, or any of the Trust’s visitor or facility rental fees.
 
img113York Minster

York Minster is a cathedral in York, England and is one of the largest of its kind in Northern Europe. The minster is the seat of the Archbishop of York, the second-highest office of the Church of England and is the cathedral for the Diocese of York; it is run by a dean and chapter under the Dean of York.
The formal title of York Minster is "The Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St Peter in York".The title "minster" is attributed to churches established in the Anglo Saxon period as missionary teaching churches, and serves now as an honorific title.Services in the minster are sometimes regarded as on the High Church or Anglo-Catholic end of the Anglican continuum.
York Minster has a very wide Decorated Gothic nave and chapter house, a Perpendicular Gothic choir and east end and Early English north and south transepts. The nave contains the West Window, constructed in 1338, and over the Lady Chapel in the east end is the Great East Window, (finished in 1408), the largest expanse of medieval stained glass in the world. In the north transept is the Five Sisters Window, each lancet being over 16 metres high. The south transept contains a famous rose window.
 
img114ZSL London Zoo

London Zoo is the world's oldest scientific zoo. It was opened in London on 27 April 1828, and was originally intended to be used as a collection for scientific study. It was eventually opened to the public in 1847.Today it houses a collection of 755 species of animals, with 16,802 individuals, making it one of the largest collections in the United Kingdom.
London Zoo  is managed under the aegis of the Zoological Society of London (established in 1826),and is situated at the northern edge of Regent's Park, on the boundary line between City of Westminster and Camden (the Regent's Canal runs through it). The Society also has a more spacious site at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo in Bedfordshire to which the larger animals such as elephants and rhinos have been moved. As well as being the first scientific zoo, ZSL London Zoo also opened the first Reptile house (1849), first public Aquarium (1853),first insect house (1881) and the first children's zoo (1938).(Source from Wikipedia).

No comments: