Friday, 4 February 2011

The Lighthouses of Poland–The Second Issued.

image
In the year 2007, the Polish Post present the next four stamps of the second lighthouses series with examples of these beautiful ancient constructions from Hel, Kołobrzeg, Rozewie and Gdańsk. All of them are touristically attractive and available for the visitors.

image
Gdańsk New Harbour
The presented here lighthouse at Gdańsk New Harbour has been turned out of use in 1984 after 90 years of work, as the new one was put at service in Gdańsk Northern Harbour. Its eight-sided tower was damaged during the World War II, what can be seen even today as the hole in the wall was refilled with bricks of lighter colour.

Rozewie
The lighthouse at the Rozewie promontory is a champion in many aspects - as the northernmost one in Poland, the oldest of still working in Poland (since 1822), and the brightest one, as its light can be seen from the distance of 26 nautical miles. It is visible from all around (many lighthouses throw their light at the sea only). It had to be heightened twice because of the trees screening its light. It is the site of the Lighthouses Museum.
image

Kołobrzeg
The original lighthouse was built in the 17th century at the entrance to the harbour. Frequently rebuilt, it was finally destroyed in the last days of the World War II. A few years after the war, however, a new lighthouse of characteristically massive construction was erected on the base of the 19th century Prussian fortress.

Hel
The first and probably the oldest "lighthouse" on the Polish territory was the fire, lit up in the 17th century on the church tower at the tip of Hel Peninsula. The presented here lighthouse is the fourth in this area and it was built in 1942. It is 40-meters high, eight-sided brick tower. The previous lighthouse was destroyed in September, 1939, by Hel defenders, as it proved to be an orientation point for the attacking German troops.

No comments: